The Criminal Law Committee reviews and comments on law and policy affecting criminal justice. Our initiatives focus on:
- the interests of people charged with criminal offences
- the rights of prisoners, including the reduction of the prison population
- the interests of intellectually disabled, mentally ill and other people as they are affected by the criminal law
- access to community support services, diversionary and restorative justice options in rural and remote areas
- the rights of Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Australians
- multicultural issues as they relate to the criminal law.
To help criminal law practitioners, the Committee also provides the following resources.
Publications and information
Special Call-over Information SheetDistrict Court Criminal Practice Note 12 - Readiness Hearings Guidelines for Contact with the Complainant in Apprehended Domestic Violence Matters Evidence of Silence AlertPower to demand that a young person subject to bail conditions be brought to the doorCorrective Services NSW – Information for Legal PractitionersNSW Local Court Prosecution Guidelines - Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions NSW Legal Aid NSW Representation Principles for Children's Lawyers 4th EditionDomestic Violence - Where to refer clientsLegal Aid NSW domestic violence resourcesA Criminal Law Survival Kit