Activities and events
The Environment and Planning Law Committee uses the collective legal skills and knowledge of our members to raise awareness of environmental and planning issues throughout the profession and the community.
Our work includes hands-on environmental activities, community forums on environmental law issues, submission-writing and professional development seminars.
Examples of our activities include:
- Organising Free Public Forums
- Drafting submissions to Parliament
- Environmental Law Annual Trivia Extravaganza
- Publication of the 2nd and pending 3rd Editions of the Practitioners' Guide to the Land and Environment Court.
- 'Open Door Network' mentoring program and the NSW Young Lawyers and Planning Institute's NSW Young Planners Mooting Competition.
- Committee Meeting Guest Speakers
- Publication of articles in the Lawbook Co. Local Government Law Journal
- Annual Committee participation in the National Tree Planting Day and Clean-Up Australia Day as well as the 'Walk Against Warming' – Australia’s Community Day of Action on Climate Change
- Delivering a diverse and tailored Continuing Legal Education (CLE) program for young lawyers and the environment and planning law profession
- Environment and Planning Law Committee University Essay Prize – an annual prize with $1000 in sponsorship from the Australian Ethical Investment Trust
- Active involvement with the National Environmental Law Association, the Environment and Planning Law Association, Women Lawyers Association of NSW and IUCN Commission on Environmental Law.
Please visit the NSW Young Lawyers Meeting and Events Calendar for all 2015 event details.
Environment and Planning Law Committee Essay Competition
Each year, the Committee coordinates an essay competition, open to NSW law students and lawyers under 36 years of age or with less than 5 years' experience. The competition requires a 2,500 word essay on various topics related to environment and planning law.
Please contact the Chair for more details.