Activities and events
The Environment and Planning Law Committee uses the collective legal skills and knowledge of our members to raise the profile of environmental and planning law issues throughout the profession and the community.
Our work includes hands-on environmental activities, community forums on environmental law issues, submission-writing and professional development seminars.
Our activities include:
- Drafting law reform submissions to government and parliament
- Delivering a diverse and tailored Continuing Legal Education (CLE) program for young lawyers and the environment and planning law profession.
- Organising Free Public Forums
- Raising money for charity at our Annual Trivia Night Extravaganza.
- Publishing a Guide to the Land and Environment Court
- Hosting guest speakers at our Committee meetings
- Publishing articles in the Lawbook Co. Local Government Law Journal
- Participating in Clean-Up Australia Day annually
- Holding our annual Environment and Planning Law Essay Competition for young lawyers and law students.
- Actively engaging in the National Environmental Law Association (NELA), the NSW Environment and Planning Law Association (EPLA), Women Lawyers Association of NSW, the Professional Environmental Women’s Association (PEWA), and the IUCN Commission on Environmental Law.
Environment and Planning Law Committee Annual Trivia Night Extravaganza, 29 October (Sponsored by Martin Place Chambers and SJB)
The Charity Trivia Night Extravaganza was a raging success that raised over $5,000 for beyondblue. Thank you to the wonderful sponsors Martin Place Chambers and SJB. A special thanks to NSW’s environmental and planning professionals, who continue to support the charity initiatives year after year. Congratulations to Pikes & Verekers who took home the coveted trophy for the first time after being long-time supporters of the event.
Environment and Planning Law Networking Reception and Essay Prize, 2 December (Sponsored by Environment and Planning Law Journal, NSW Environment and Planning Law Association and the Co-op Bookshop)
The Environment and Planning Law Networking Reception and Essay Prize event was held on Wednesday 2 December. They were very lucky to be joined by their 2015 Committee Patron the Honourable Justice Preston, Chief Judge of the Land and Environment Court, who addressed them on climate change considerations for lawyers.
Congratulations to our 2015 Environment and Planning Law Essay winner Kate McCallum and our runner up Mark Slaven and thank you to our sponsors Environment and Planning Law Journal, NSW Environment and Planning Law Association and Co-Op.
Please visit the NSW Young Lawyers Meeting and Events Calendar for further details about our activities and events.