Activities and events
The Environment and Planning Law Committee uses the collective legal skills and knowledge of our members to raise awareness of environmental and planning issues throughout the profession and the community.
Our work includes hands-on environmental activities, community forums on environmental law issues, submission-writing and professional development seminars.
Examples of our activities include:
- Organising Free Public Forums
- Drafting submissions to Parliament
- Environmental Law Annual Trivia Extravaganza
- Publication of the 2nd and pending 3rd Editions of the Practitioners' Guide to the Land and Environment Court.
- 'Open Door Network' mentoring program and the NSW Young Lawyers and Planning Institute's NSW Young Planners Mooting Competition.
- Committee Meeting Guest Speakers
- Publication of articles in the Lawbook Co. Local Government Law Journal
- Annual Committee participation in the National Tree Planting Day and Clean-Up Australia Day as well as the 'Walk Against Warming' – Australia’s Community Day of Action on Climate Change
- Delivering a diverse and tailored Continuing Legal Education (CLE) program for young lawyers and the environment and planning law profession
- Environment and Planning Law Committee University Essay Prize – an annual prize with $1000 in sponsorship from the Australian Ethical Investment Trust
- Active involvement with the National Environmental Law Association, the Environment and Planning Law Association, Women Lawyers Association of NSW and IUCN Commission on Environmental Law.
Annual Environment and Planning Law Charity Trivia Night
2014 Charity Trivia Night, 20 November 2014 (Sponsored by Corrs Chambers Westgarth, SJB Planning, Martin Place Chambers and First Creek Wines)
The Environment and Planning Law Committee’s 10th annual Trivia Night Extravaganza was a great success, with over $3,000 raised for EDO NSW, a community legal centre specialising in public interest environmental law. Martin Place Chambers took out the top spot, closely followed by the Land and Environment Court, with Corrs coming in third. The Committee thanks our sponsors for putting on such a great night.
View event photos.
Environment and Planning Law Committee Essay Competition
Each year, the Committee coordinates an essay competition, open to NSW law students and lawyers under 36 years of age or with less than 5 years' experience. The competition requires a 2,500 word essay on various topics related to environment and planning law.
2014 Essay Competition, 20 November 2014 (Sponsored by The Co-op and The Environment and Planning Law Journal)
The Environment and Planning Law Committee’s 2014 Environment and Planning Law Essay Competition received some great entries from young lawyers across NSW. Jane Dillon took out this year’s prize, with a paper on the application of the precautionary principle in international trade law. Erin Kiley was a close second, with a paper on approval bilateral agreements between the Commonwealth and the States. Thanks to our sponsors and entrants.
View event photos.