Activities and events
The Environment and Planning Law Committee uses the collective legal skills and knowledge of our members to raise awareness of environmental and planning issues throughout the profession and the community.
Our work includes hands-on environmental activities, community forums on environmental law issues, submission-writing and professional development seminars.
Examples of our activities include:
- Organising Free Public Forums
- Drafting submissions to Parliament
- Environmental Law Annual Trivia Extravaganza
- Publication of the 2nd and pending 3rd Editions of the Practitioners' Guide to the Land and Environment Court.
- 'Open Door Network' mentoring program and the NSW Young Lawyers and Planning Institute's NSW Young Planners Mooting Competition.
- Committee Meeting Guest Speakers
- Publication of articles in the Lawbook Co. Local Government Law Journal
- Annual Committee participation in the National Tree Planting Day and Clean-Up Australia Day as well as the 'Walk Against Warming' – Australia’s Community Day of Action on Climate Change
- Delivering a diverse and tailored Continuing Legal Education (CLE) program for young lawyers and the environment and planning law profession
- Environment and Planning Law Committee University Essay Prize – an annual prize with $1000 in sponsorship from the Australian Ethical Investment Trust
- Active involvement with the National Environmental Law Association, the Environment and Planning Law Association, Women Lawyers Association of NSW and IUCN Commission on Environmental Law.
Annual Environment and Planning Law Trivia Night
This event has raised considerable funds and awareness for charity organisations, including:
- Australian Youth Climate Coalition
- WIRES (NSW Wildlife Information Rescue and Education Service)
- the Climate Action Network Australia 'No More Polluting Power' Campaign
- the Nature Conservation Council's 'Marine Sanctuaries National Parks of the Sea' Campaign
- the Wilderness Society’s 'Tasmanian Tarkine Wilderness' Appeal
- Total Environment Care.
The Environment and Planning Law Committee's annual 'Trivia Extravaganza' for 2012 will be held at Maddocks Lawyers on Thursday, 1 October 2012.
Last year, taking the timber trophy in first place was Martin Place Chambers, with Henry Davis York in close second. Other attendees included HWL Ebsworth Lawyers, the NSW Land & Environment Court, the City of Sydney Council, Baker & McKenzie, Johnson Winter & Slattery, Wilshire Webb Staunton Beattie, the Office of Environment and Heritage, JBA Planning and the Australian Youth Climate Coalition.
Tickets will be available soon, and will be strictly limited, so don’t miss out!
We look forward to seeing you on the night.
Environment and Planning Law Committee Essay Competition
Each year, the Committee coordinates an essay competition, open to undergraduate law students (including equivalent law studies such as the juris doctor or through the Legal Practitioners Admission Board) with an interest in issues involving environment and planning. The competition requires a 2,500 word essay on various topics related to environment and planning law. View the 2012 competition flyer.
The essay competition represents an excellent chance for interested law students to engage in a discussion of the issues that affect the development of environmental and planning law at local, federal and international levels.
The 2012 winner and runner up was announced by The Hon. Justice Pepper of the Land and Environment Court at a special Committee meeting on Tuesday, 20 November 2012.
The Committee congratulates Kate Angus, the 2012 Essay Competition winner.