Solicitor Referral Service
If you need legal help and are looking for a law firm, the Law Society of NSW’s Solicitor Referral Service can provide personalised assistance.
How to request a referral
There are three ways you can request a referral:
- Call (02) 9926 0300. Lines are open 9am – 12pm, 1pm – 4pm, Monday to Friday.
- Email email@example.com with your request criteria and contact details.
- Complete an Online Referral Request. This is available anytime, including weekends. (Online requests will only receive the contact details of one firm.)
How the Service works
Where possible, we maintain a database of around 1,600 private law firms who have registered their details, areas of law and other practice information with us. This allows us to easily search for firms that are likely to meet your individual needs and quickly provide you with their contact details.
We will find up to three firms that are conveniently located for you and which offer legal services in the area of law you need assistance in. If you ask, we can include other criteria in your search, such as firms with solicitors who:
- make legal aid applications
- make home, hospital or prison visits
- are prepared to take calls after hours in criminal matters
- are fluent in languages other than English
- have foreign law experience
- are female
- are Accredited Specialists (for more information visit the Specialist Accreditation Scheme page).
Important costs information
All referrals are to private firms of solicitors. Although the referral service is free, the firms will charge their normal fees. You should ask about the costs of your first appointment before booking it. Not all law firms on the database provide a free initial consultation.
For more information about how firms charge their fees, see The lawyer / client relationship.
What happens after your request is received?
After we have received your referral request, you will receive a letter – by fax, email or post (or printout if using the online service) – listing the contact details of up to three firms. Once you have received the referral letter it is up to you to make contact with the law firms. The firms on your letter are under no obligation to provide legal services to you.
The Service is not staffed by solicitors so we are unable to provide legal advice. For legal information, and in some cases advice, visit LawAccess NSW or call LawAccess on 1300 888 529.
We do not warrant or guarantee the work undertaken by any firm listed in a referral letter and are not liable in relation to any aspect of legal services they may provide to you.
If you are seeking legal services on a free or substantially reduced fee basis and have been refused Legal Aid, consider the Law Society of NSW’s Pro Bono Scheme. You will need to meet the criteria, including a means test, and make an application.
- Solicitor Referral Service
- Law Society of NSW
- 170 Phillip Street
- Sydney NSW 2000
- DX 362 Sydney
- T: (02) 9926 0300, or
- 1800 422 713 (outside Sydney)
- E: firstname.lastname@example.org