The Law Society of NSW seeks to align the commercial imperatives that drive the business of legal practice with the regulatory framework largely contained in the Legal Profession Act 2004. This approach encourages solicitors to view regulatory compliance, not as an authoritative burden, but as a means to generate client satisfaction and drive profitability.
Regulatory Compliance Support Unit
The Regulatory Compliance Support Unit offers solicitors confidential assistance to prevent compliance issues from escalating into complaints and disciplinary actions. The Unit is staffed by two experienced solicitors in the Law Society’s Professional Standards Department, who have detailed knowledge of the Legal Profession Act 2004 and an understanding of solicitors’ working lives.
- Practice Management
- Business structures for practices
- Practising Certificates
- Risk management
- Closure of practices
- Incorporated legal practices
- Multi-disciplinary partnerships
- 'Show cause' issues
- Practice of foreign law
- Transferring a law practice
- management systems including:
- trust accounts
- safe custody
- avoiding delay
- avoiding a conflict of interest
If you have a question about compliance or need help in this area, contact the Regulatory Compliance Support Unit for confidential assistance:
- Chris Shrewsbury on 9926 0109 or Chris.Shrewsbury@lawsociety.com.au
- Frances Moffitt on 9926 0231 or Frances.Moffitt@lawsociety.com.au
Assistance is available Monday to Friday during standard business hours.