Find a practice search help
There are several ways to search for a legal practice in Find a Lawyer, depending on how much information you already know, the location of the practice and your individual requirements.
General search tips
- You do not have to fill out all the fields. The more fields you complete, the more specific your search results will be.
- If you receive no matches to your search, there are no solicitors registered with the Law Society who meet all the criteria you entered. To widen the search results you may need to remove one or more of the criteria.
- Text entered into the fields is case insensitive.
If you know all or part of the name of a legal practice, enter it in the field. Then click the down arrow to select:
- 'partial' if you know some of the letters within the name
- 'exact”' if you know the exact spelling of the name
- 'fuzzy' if you know the general sound of the name.
Enter the first three letters of the Suburb to display a list of all cities, towns and suburbs in NSW beginning with these letters in alphabetical order.
You can then either type the suburb name in full or scroll down the list. For the latter, click on your chosen suburb in the list to select it.
Use this field to locate a practice within a particular geographical area. This is useful to find a practice located close to you if you have not been able to find one in your particular city/town/suburb.
The 'Interstate' options in this field can be used to find practices located in other Australian states and territories that either have a sub-office in NSW or a solicitor who practises in NSW.
For a statewide search, including interstate practitioners, leave on the default 'All Regions' and make sure the Suburb field is also clear.
Practice type field
In this field you can search for different kinds of law practices, such as private firms or a community legal centres.
If you are not sure what type of law practice you want, leave on the default option of ‘Any Practice Type’.
If you want to find a particular type of practice, click on the arrow symbol. A drop-down list of the different types of law practices will appear.
Limit search to field
Where a practice has many offices, you can limit the search results to a manageable number by selecting to see only the main offices or branch offices.
Language (other than English) field
Use this field to locate a solicitor who speaks another language besides English.
- Law Society Registry
- Level 5, 170 Phillip Street
- Sydney NSW 2000
- DX 362 Sydney
- T: (02) 9926 0156
- F: (02) 9926 0257
- E: firstname.lastname@example.org