The Law Society receives its income from a number of sources, including:
- A Practising Certificate fee, which is compulsory for those wanting to practise as a solicitor.
- A membership fee, which is voluntary for those wanting to be a member of the Law Society.
- Grants from the Public Purpose Fund, which are used to support community-oriented initiatives, such as the Pro Bono Scheme and Solicitor Referral Service, and regulatory activities that the Law Society undertakes.
- Income from the sale of publications, members’ service products, continuing legal education courses and conferences.
- Rent from tenants in the Phillip Street building.
- Interest on investments.
Read an Important Notice about the fees and funding of the Law Society.