Today’s young lawyers are at the forefront of the ‘next big thing’ that is; the energy, resources and climate change industries. The Environment and Planning Law Committee is about 'all things environment' – whether it be Environmental Planning, Agriculture, Forestry or Water, our committee brings together a network of the state’s top young practitioners to discuss a shared interest in our environment.
The Environment and Planning Law Committee focuses on environmental and planning issues, raising awareness in the profession and the community about developments in national legislation, case law and policy. We also concentrate on international laws and their impact within Australia.
Aims and objectives
Our work is constantly evolving and being shaped by the contribution and suggestions of our members. Our current objectives are:
- Prioritising environmental considerations as a relevant issue for lawyers and individuals and the legal profession as a whole.
- Informing the public of environmental and planning law, in particular those legislative provisions which provide opportunities for community participation and require community consultation.
- Monitoring and informing the legal profession and community about recent developments in existing and proposed environmental and planning legislation, case law and policy.
- Educating and raising the awareness of the legal profession and the community of practical methods for protecting and caring for the environment.
- Engaging with other committees to develop a strong network that promotes the growth of the Young Lawyers community and successfully.
- To grow the Climate Change sub-committee and develop more sub-committees that members can be involved in where they can commence projects on behalf of the Committee
- To continue to build the camaraderie of the Environment and Planning Law Committee through social events and committee functions.
- Building and diversifying the sponsorship of our committee and inviting guest speakers on a member-recommended basis.
- Commenting on legislative proposals.
Our elected members
Chair: James Fan
Vice Chair: Clara MacDermott
Email the Chair of the Environment and Planning Law Committee, James Fan, at email@example.com.