BE PART OF SOMETHING BIGGER
The Benefits of Law Society Membership
The Law Society of New South Wales is the proud voice of the legal profession and represents the interests of more than 27,000 members. We encourage debate and actively drive law reform through policy submissions and open dialogue with governments, parliamentary bodies and the courts. Our mission is to provide leadership to the profession and service to our members. We work hard to build a just legal system – and we want you to join us.
Read our Member Services Guide 2016-17 to find out more. Law Society members receive the following services and support:
- Print and Digital Publications: LSJ, Member-only Digital Newsletters, Monday Briefs
- Website: Careerhub, Small Practice Portal, StudentHub
- Social Media: LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook
- Continuing Professional Development Program: CPD Seminars, My CPD Library
- Specialist Accreditation: 2016 Scheme
"Australian lawyers are outgoing, friendly and easy to work with, and they've got real expertise, which, in my experience, is as good as anyone in the world."
Richard Mazzochi, Head of Banking and Finance, King & Wood Mallesons. Law Society member since 1983
- Find a Lawyer: Online directory, Solicitor Referral Service, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Family Law Settlement Service, Locum Service, Speakers Bureau
- President's Medal: Most Outstanding Practitioner in their Field
- Mock Law Program: Mock Trial, Mock Mediation
- Library Services: Library Research Service
- Law Society Shop and Eshop: Handbooks, Online Services and Resources
"Legal Aid is so important for the functioning of the justice system. When people aren’t represented, it makes the process lengthier and less fair. I like to participate in the process of helping people."
Hayley Dean, Solicitor, Legal Aid NSW, Law Society member since 2007
- Professional Standards: Ethics, Regulatory Compliance, Dealing with a Complaint, Practising Certificates and Mandatory CPD
- Legal Expertise: Senior Solicitors Scheme, Legal Information Officer, Sell or Buy a Practice
- Thought Leadership: Inquiry into the Future of the Legal Profession
- Advancement of Women: Ongoing initiative
- Lifeline for Lawyers: Free and Confidential 24/7 Support
- Job Board: Current Employment Opportunities
- Graduate Programs: Graduate Employment and Summer Clerkship Program
"Life at FFA can be demanding, but I like to keep myself busy with activities outside of work. I play in a band, play as much ice hockey as the body can handle, and assist with the administration of the Australian Ice Hockey League."
Tim Holden, Senior Legal counsel, football Federation Australia, Law Society member since 2007
- Law Society Committees: 18 Expert Policy and Practice committees
- Law Society Council: Leading the Strategic Direction
- Regional Law Societies: 29 Regional Societies
- NSW Young Lawyers: More than 15,000 members
- LAWASIA: Law Association for Asia and the Pacific
- Women's Mentoring: Dedicated Program
- Facilities for Members: Mediation and Arbitrations Rooms, Dining Room, Photocopy Service
"There are great women making significant contributions to the world, but their parenting roles are invisible. I was impressed by Laurette’s ability to excel in her career while balancing and supporting her family."
Lisa To, Executive Lawyer, Bartier Perry, Mentee of Laurette Chao, Director, Gibsons Lawyers, Law Society members since 2003 and 1989 respectively
- Policy and Representation: Over 100 Policy Submissions made to government annually
- Support for Practitioners: Lawyers Assistance Program, Professional Support Unit
- Lawcover: Approved Professional Indemnity Insurance Policies
- Legalsuper: Financial Management for the National Legal Community
- Counselling: LawCare, Law Society Specialist Panel
- Practice Management: Law Society Registry
- Compliance Analysis Reviews: Free and Confidential Service to NSW firms
- Trust Accounting: Assisting firms with Receipt, Holding and Disbursement of Trust Money
"Strengthening young people and continuing education are two fundamental values of mine. I really believe you only get out what you put in, and that giving back by sharing your professional skills is an important way to strengthen the community you live and work in."
Heather McKinnon, Accredited Specialist in Family Law, Coffs Harbour, Law Society member since 1984